Monday 28 April 2008

What We Did On Our Hols: Part Two

Here are some photos of our rambles around Vindolanda and the central sector of Hadrian's Wall

On the Roman Wall looking east toward Great Chesters (Aesica)

The Museum Garden at Vindolanda: temple, shop and house

Memorial to all the Roman army regiments that served at Vindolanda


Ian with the first piece of wall he excavated at Vindolanda in 2001

Northumbrian shepherd with his old dog, Meg

Looking toward Barcombe Fell

Just south of the Wall near Walltown Crag

My dream cottage: Low Fogrigg by the Chineley Burn

Matfen Parish Church

Grave of Ian's maternal great-grandparents in Matfen churchyard

The Cuthbertson family farm, Rose's Bower, Great Whittington, Northumberland

4 comments:

Kirsten Campbell said...

Oh, it sounds like you had a wonderful time away!

Especially loved all the photos of Hadrian's Wall and Vindolanda. I'm now even more excited to get down! :)

Sarah Cuthbertson said...

Is it June you go? Ooh won't be long now. Whose team are you on? They're finding some beautiful stonework from the granaries in the stone fort. Have you seen the photos on www.wedigvindolanda.com?
And you'll have a beautiful all mod cons chalet to have your breaks in - luxury compared to the old tea hut!

Gabriele Campbell said...

Looks like a fun trip.

And some nice memories for me. I've seen some of the places just a year ago.

Kirsten Campbell said...

It's the 8 June I start. And I'm on Andrew's team. I can't wait. I'm absolutely pounding my knees with excitement! :)